Saturday, 23 June 2007

Why we chose the name "Wesley"

Wesley

English cultural origin
Spiritual connotation: Steadfast

"Then you will walk on your way securely and your foot will not stumble" Proverbs 3:23

I first suggested the name of Wesley because I simply liked the name. I was drawn to it for some reason, but I also liked that it wasn't on the Top 10 list for boy names, nor was it on the Top 100 boy names in the past several years. This has the advantage of Wesley not being confused with his peers as he starts school because I can guarantee that there won't be more than one Wesley in the class! I actually told James that I liked the name in the month before we found out we were pregnant (discussing future baby names, as you do when you're married and hope to have a child!). James liked the name too, and about five months later when we found out we were having a boy, his name was decided!

In addition to simply liking the name, there were more thoughtful reasons for our choice. Here is our rationale, as written by James:

On both sides of our family we trace our heritage back to England, and traditionally, the name Wesley is of Old English origin, meaning “from the West meadow”. Given that we are firm believers in the virtues of Western values and thought, and that the term “meadow” is closely related to the meaning of “garth”, ie. a small garden, then the direct meaning of the name seems most suitable indeed.

But the most important reason why we endorse the name Wesley is that it is given in honor of one of James’ personal historical role models and mentors, John Wesley.

John Wesley believed that the living core of the Christian faith was revealed in Scripture, confirmed by reason, illuminated by tradition and verified in personal experience. His theology attempted to merge the domains of reason and rational thinking with a genuine awareness of spirituality and personal experience, two areas which we hope and pray our son will have much opportunity to explore as he undertakes his own journey in life, and grows in knowledge and stature among men.

Wesley took Jesus’ commands seriously. He was a relentless pursuer of social justice, he was filled with genuine concern for the poor, and he was an instrumental figure in opposing slavery. He was a gifted leader and speaker, who believed that God’s saving grace was available to all who would freely choose to accept it.

It is for these reasons that we are both very glad to choose this name for our son, and pray that he would bear it with pride, and that it will serve him well for all of his days.

5 comments:

Ross said...

I'm no expert on the man, but John Wesley had the right idea in terms of showing that faith and reason aren't necessarily incompatible, and also what being a Christian meant in practical terms. In this regard he has also become something of a role model for me.

My first name has no spiritual connotations, but my middle name (David) does. I wasn't named after King David, but it was said of him that he was a man after God's own heart. If I could emulate him, of course excluding his problematic personal life and family, I think I'd be doing well.

I'm sure that your prayer for your son will be answered in the fullness of time.

Anonymous said...

Belinda -- I loved your explanation of the choice of 'Wesley'! I've always liked the name, but was wondering how you and James decided upon it, and I'm delighted to have all my suspicions confirmed. I assumed/hoped that dear old John Wesley was in there somewhere, so that was great. And I'm also delighted by the English history/etymology, because it not only makes logical sense, but it's very poetic too, and strikes an emotional chord with me, fervent amateur genealogist that I am! (I was moved to tears by yesterday's "Songs of Praise" on the ABC, which was about the 1904 revival movement in Wales, and contained some wonderful, inspiring, rousing old Methodist hymns!) Of course I don't need (ahem) to add my rousing cheer of approval at Wesley's middle name, Edward...but I will! It's a nice name by any standards, and of course it's Wesley's Dad's middle name, and his paternal grandfather's, great-grandfather's, and great x2 grandfather's middle name, and the first name of his great x3, great x4 and great x5 grandfathers, right back to the original convict Edward Garth who arrived in 1788 on the First Fleet! (I always like to advertise wherever possible, hee.) -- (Auntie) Helen

Belinda said...

Thanks for posting, Ross & Helen! Yes, we are very happy with our choice of name and it's really nice that our family and friends understand and value the reasons behind our choice :)

And yes, we too, are very proud of the Garth heritage and the "Edward" name being passed down through the generations. I relish telling people that Wesley Edward is 8th generation in a direct paternal line to the First Fleet!

Anonymous said...

You could easily be making money online in the undercover world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]seo blackhat forum[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses little-known or little-understood avenues to build an income online.

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]casino games[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com/]las vegas casino[/url] free no store perk at the chief [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]no lay bonus
[/url].