Tuesday, 24 July 2007

The struggle over work vs stay-at-home mum

Ok, so I've been pondering this issue of going back to work versus staying at home to care for Wesley. I love the freedom of not working and inventing my own timetable for the week. I can certainly busy myself with things (mother's group, shopping, walking, not to mention all the housework and WASHING!). But there are aspects of work that I miss. I want to keep my research skills sharp and keep my mind busy. While the extra income would come in handy, money is not my motivation or reason for thinking for going back to work. I am thankful for this.

Ahhh! This issue is doing my head in. I feel a tug-of-war happening inside my mind! I love caring for Wesley and do feel a little guilty for wanting to go back to work. I should say here, that I do not intend on going back full-time. I'd love to work 2-3 days per week, but the positions I'm currently applying for are 0.8 (or, the equivalent of 4 days per week). Mmmm. Thankfully we have family who are able to care for Wesley when I do go back to work .... I simply wouldn't put him in day care while he is this young (4 months). Ooooh .. 4 months! I never anticipated wanting to get back to work this soon!

Anyway, check back with my blog in a couple of months time to see what happens ... IF I do get work, and how I resolve this issue!

No comments: