Well, as promised I have a review here about the Amazing Grace movie. James beat me to it and wrote up a review on his blog, so I thought I'd post it here for you since I agree with what he said and I don't really have the time to double-up! The only thing I would add is that this movie is a great opportunity to take in a bit of history without having to read the books (if you're not so inclined to do) and to appreciate those that have come before us and fought injustices that have impacted our world today. Go see it.
Last night Belinda and I were privileged enough to see the new movie "Amazing Grace" starring Ioan Gruffudd, which has just gone into limited release here in Australia. Well, I am pleased to report that I found it more than lived up to its promise. It was a powerful, inspiring, romantic, and brilliantly scripted film, filled with first-rate performances and intelligent historical insight. It was quite intellectually demanding of its audience (which I admired) and was morally and emotionally moving without relying on gratuitous violence to achieve dramatic effect.
The subject matter - the abolition of the slave trade - was solidly and sensitively presented, and I felt the film was a wonderful posthumous tribute to Wilberforce's lifelong quest to rid the British Empire of this evil. I'm not sure whether the historical details were accurate or not, but from a cinematic point of view it was a inspiring achievement.
Now, I realize this is a big call, but I have decided to award it my coveted 5 star rating. It deserves it.
James' Rating: ***** 5 stars

No comments:
Post a Comment