Monday, 13 August 2007

Social justice, little things & higher meaning

For the past few years, James and I have become more aware of the injustices in this world .... things like the problems in Darfur, the problem of abortions (for the unborn child but also the mother), and the treatment of refugees in our country. Those are just a few examples of the things that have stood out to us ... of course there are the 'everyday' things that catch our eye too ... not so much social justice issues, but rather, everyday life issues ... things like depression.

James and I see ourselves as being privileged with our life .... that we were born in Australia, that we are in well-paying and respected professions, and that to date, we have not experienced (in a personal nature) any great injustice directed at us. We are thankful to God for what we have, but understand that it comes with great responsibility. Thus it's not about what we have, but what we DO with what we have (tangible or intangible things - money, time, talents etc). So, what does this look like in practice? Being "open" with belongings, time and finances ... they are things given to us, that we may freely give back. Whether it's $1 or $1000 (if there is a financial need), or giving our time to a certain cause. Because at the end of the day, what really matters? Money won't make us happy ... not really. There is a higher meaning to life. Nothing is greater than helping other people. Especially if we have a head-start because we live in the "lucky" country. I don't care what anybody says ... yes there are little annoying things about some Aussie policies etc, but we are not having to escape our country due to torture, rape and murder (on a mass scale), we are not living in fear for our lives, or the lives of our children.

I feel overwhelmed at times. There seems to be so much that needs doing. So much so, that I feel paralyzed to do anything about it. I still don't know how to combat that at the moment (other than talking to God about it and begging for direction!). Perhaps doing what we can, when we can (give donations, tell people about it, pray about it - thus dealing with any spiritual side of the problem). Or, look at what Jesus did. He is our role model. What did he do? What did he value? Human interaction. Prayer. Love. Justice. The list goes on.

But with all the big problems, like the injustices in Darfur or abortions (or many other things that I'm not even aware of yet), we still cannot overlook the smaller things, much closer to home. The small things like an encouraging word to someone, helping with a practical need (loaning a car, giving some grocery money etc), actually listening when people are talking (and not getting sidetracked mid-conversation with SMS or mobile phone ringing). By the way, that is my pet-hate! When you are meeting with somebody and your phone rings or you get an SMS, unless you are expecting an important call, LEAVE IT! Check it a little later, or when there is a break in your conversation. What you are telling people is that SMS or that phone call is more important than the conversation you are having! Think about it! (I'm sure I have been guilty of that at times too .. but it's my desire to not do it anymore).

Anyway, this post doesn't really provide answers and it also doesn't articulate the fuller issues that are floating around in my head. I don't have any more time this morning to devote to a longer blog, but at the very least I have got some of it off my chest!

I guess what sings out to me, in summary, is that:

It's not about what we have, but what we DO with what we have.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ross said...

Belinda, good on you for sharing your thoughts about injustice in the world, and for responding constructively to these issues. My thinking would be similar to your's.

You share one of my pet hates. I've been at (Christian) social gatherings where rather than talk to those present, people go off into a corner to use their mobile phones to exchange text messages with their friends. This is a way of saying, "I find my friends more interesting than any of the people here."

Pretty rude, huh?

Belinda said...

Hey Ross. Thanks for your comment. I'm glad I have some allies in the face of mobile phone rudeness!

Oh, and the comment before Ross' one that I deleted ... just to let my readers know that it was actually spam. Some guy trying to sell t-shirts! I'm not in the habit of gagging the thoughts of my readers :)