Thursday, 23 August 2007

The joys of parenting (thus far!)



Ah yes. Parenting. It just warms your heart. I must say, that upon reflection the past 5 months have been better than I thought. Well, ok, the first month was just nuts (sleep deprivation, breastfeeding problems, emotional highs and lows, trying to get our act together with this new parenting thing). But as the days go by things have got a lot easier. We still have our random days where Wesley may be a little fussy, but that's always for a reason (whether that be he is tired, in pain, or I've had him out and about too much!). Since he was around 6-7 weeks he has progressively increased his hours of sleep at night, so that now he is sleeping approximately 12 hours at night. So our usual scenario, now that he is almost 5 months, is:

  • Wesley wakes around 6:30am and babbles to himself until I go in at 7am.
  • 7:00am - Brekky (bottle and rice cereal), then play in the playpen. Around 8:30-9:00am he goes down for a nap.
  • 11:30am - wakes up. Has his lunch (bottle, vegies). Then playtime (or we go out!). Then around 1:30pm he goes down for another nap.
  • 3:30pm - wakes up and has dinner (bottle, rice cereal & vegies). Playtime. Then usually goes down for a shorter nap around 5:30pm. Might only sleep for 40 mins, but sometimes will sleep for longer and we have to wake him for his last bottle.
  • 6:30pm (approx) he will have his last bottle. He'll stay up until around 7-7:30pm (depending on how tired he is), and then we'll put him to bed. And that's it. Nye, nye until 7am! Occasionally we may need to pop the dummy in or tuck him in again if he stirs during the night, but not usually.
Of course there can be some variation on some days. Especially if I'm out, he may not sleep for as long etc. Just depends. So he may have his bottle and food half an hour early sometimes. Also, we are usually out at church on Sunday nights, so we might give him an extra bottle when we get home at 8:30pm, but if he happens to have stayed awake since his 6:30 bottle, we just put him straight to bed when we get home. So because I have a bub who is characterised by sleeping well (both day and night) I have time to write these blogs and do all the things I need to do around the house etc. I actually have time to have a hot coffee in peace!

James and I participated in a Preparation for Parenting course before Wesley was born and the things we learned and thus put into place were quite useful to encourage Wesley's stability, yet possibly also contributed to me having a low milk supply and thus discontinued breastfeeding Wesley at 2 months (so, in some ways, not very useful!). The course (via DVD) was by Gary Ezzo who has those Baby Wise series of books. I have friends with older babies (toddlers etc.) and I have seen the advice in these books in the every-day practice of my friends lives and can see the benefits of a happy baby who sleeps well and is content ... and also well-behaved toddlers! (not the kind that come to your house and pull everything off your bookshelf!). But at the same time, a good reader of my blog has reminded me of the controversy about the Ezzo books and suggestions for parenting. Thus, I have revised this paragraph to include a caution. For anyone reading or participating in an Ezzo course (especially breastfeeding mums) it would pay to also read-up on what the controversy is all about. See http://www.ezzo.info . I must emphasise here that I whole-heartedly agree with the following statement by Focus on the Family (Dr James Dobson) that, "... [the Ezzo's] principles be implemented only in conjunction with generous measures of common sense, intuition, and natural parental affection" (quoted from a report called An Evaluation of the Ezzo Parenting Programs, p. 23, by Dr Kent McClain), as found on the aforementioned website (under Child Development Issues section). It is in that light that we have followed most principles taught by Ezzo, but our own common sense and intuition has heavily depicted how we relate to our precious son.

Anyway ... now that we have Wesley well-stabilised with his sleeping, eating and playing, I am wondering how I am going to get through these next few years as I (and James too of course) guide Wesley into appropriate behaviour! Especially since he makes me laugh. The last few weeks Wesley has learned how to blow raspberries. Very cute. But he cannot distinguish yet, between blowing raspberries during playtime and doing it while eating dinner! So when he does it when he's eating I follow through with a "no, we don't spit when we eat" and place my finger gently on his lips. But as I do so, he smiles at me and tries to lick my finger! Try keeping a straight face and a firm voice then! Awww! Well, he is almost 5 months old. I'm sure sooner or later he will actually understand. Yet, I will plough on! I am determined to have a child who behaves appropriately :) Anyway, enough from me on that. I've spent enough time this morning on the computer ... had better get going ...



Daddy feeding Wesley


7 comments:

Ross said...

Your posts on the joys of parenthood are fascinating reading. I can't think of anything further to say than that.

TulipGirl said...

Just be cautious. . . not all parents have such glowing experiences with Babywise and Ezzo's teachings. (See http://www.ezzo.info or http://www.awareparent.net.)

Grace and peace,

Belinda said...

Thanks for your comment and for reading my blog TulipGirl. Yes, I am aware of the debate. I've seen plenty on the web both for and against the Ezzo's teachings.

I was ready to throw the first book out in our first few weeks as the advice there did not cover breastfeeding if you have difficulties. I actually breastfed for 2 months due to an ongoing issue with milk supply and then blissfully put Wesley on formula. I think there were times I should have fed him when I was thinking he should not be hungry already. I was the one watching the clock - which is what the Ezzo's say NOT to do! They say to always feed a hungry baby (I couldn't always tell in those early, hazy days, if he was just fussy or hungry).

In hindsight, the basic principles James and I learned from the Ezzo's provided some kind of guide for us. I think I was taking the guidelines too far and wanting Wesley to be in a routine too early. That was me - not what the Ezzo's say. And I do think that as with any advice, parents need to weigh it all up and decide what is best for their situation. And so far, it is working for us. It doesn't mean that you HAVE to follow their guidelines in order for your baby to be a good sleeper or anything. Some of what they say has also been reiterated by our maternal child health nurse (such as the feed/wake/sleep order of events).

Some of their comments in the course we are doing (Along the toddler way etc) I have weighed up and thought they were trying to attribute biblical versus in an inappropriate way. But I'm all for taking on their general principles. And keeping context in mind too. There will always be some variation in our babies, but all I can say is that our experience, so far, has been a positive one.

As for the things we are currently learning about toddlers, well all I can say is it's fantastic to again have some type of a guide as we head into this new stage. I'm totally against the idea of letting children have a free-run of things. They need guidance in these formative years. Thus the Babywise teachings appeal to my sense of order and moral training of children.

I should say that Wesley is our first child, and it will be interesting to see if we have such good experiences with any subsequent children we have. I am open to the idea that my glowing endorsement of the Babywise series may be subject to change in the future, but it's been fine so far.

Of course, the Babywise stuff is looking at babies and toddlers in general, and does not account for the smaller percentage of kids who are truly sick etc.

I'm keen to hear of the less-positive experiences with the Babywise series because I personally have come into contact with people who only have good things to say. I have not personally met anyone yet who has spoken negatively of it.

Again, thanks for your comment. I'm always interested to hear the perspectives of other people. I was wondering too, TulipGirl, why I cannot see your blog when I clicked on your name?

Blessings to you :)

Belinda said...

Oh, just another comment I forgot to add. Thanks for those websites. I have seen them before, but will have a closer look at them now that I'm 5 months down the track of parenthood. I am always happy to look at both sides and then make up my mind. It's never a good thing to be so blind-sighted without at least reviewing the "other side"!

So far the Babywise stuff mostly appears as common sense to me, so I'd like to see what the opposing side has to say.

Also, just wondering how you came across my blog, TulipGirl? It's great to have your comments and I'm just curious how far my blog goes, or whether I actually know you!

Have a great day :)

Anonymous said...

I can't remember right now how I found your post. You know how blogging is. . . link from a link from a link among mothering blogs.

Your post, though, caught my eye. We, too, used BW. (Even led the church Prep for Parenting classes.) Like you, I had milk supply issues directly related to BW. Like you, I initially thought it was how we implemented the principles, not the principles themselves.

As time went on and I learned more (and had more babies) I realized that the basic BW principles really were not founded on sound information about infant growth, development, sleep and breastfeeding. God has an amazing design for infants and breastfeeding and growth and motherhood. So much of the BW ideas undermine that design.

When reexamining the assumptions I had about the principles in BW being true, I realized that really it was more one man's idea than I am comfortable with. Going back the Bible, going back to basic biology, and we ended up discarding BW wholecloth by the time our 3rd was a few months old.

However, whatever ideas we may implement in parenting, we WILL make mistakes. I truly believe a mother's love and God's grace covers a multitude of mistakes. *Grin*

Grace and peace,

Belinda said...

Thanks TulipGirl. Yeah, I can absolutely understand where you are coming from. Having re-read that Ezzo website I can see in hindsight how some of the principles contributed to my low milk supply. I first read the site early on, but it was information overload (in those early days doing the Prep for Parenting course and at the same time trying to read the material cautioning parents against BW). Now that things are much more under control, I can read it with a clearer head.

Interesting that you taught the Prep for Parenting classes. We were thinking of doing that too, but I am weighing that up a bit more.

I'm really thankful for your comments on my blog, because while I do like the fact James and I had some kind of a base to start with when having our first child, when I wrote those endorsements for BW I was thinking more broadly and thus didn't note any of the problems we may have had with BW (thinking maybe it was me and not the book). I am grateful for the nudge to re-read those websites ... must admit that my jaw kinda dropped when I read the stuff about BW principles leading to low milk supply ... I must have read that several months ago but totally forgot about it.

I'll certainly continue to take on board the principles that sound good to my husband and I (and if they work!), whether from BW or any other resource, but I am definitely going to do things differently whenever I have my second child in terms of breastfeeding! And you're right, we're going to make mistakes along this parenting journey, but our great love for our children and God's amazing grace will certainly cover it!!

Thanks again. You have more experience in this than I do - with 3 children - so I am grateful that you have shared your experiences on my blog.

Blessings to you and your family :)

TulipGirl said...

Parenting is such a journey, isn't it? I can tell in your posts that you have much joy, even amidst the struggles. *grin*